Earnings Preview: Newmont Mining (NYSE: NEM) - Fred Dunsel (02/23/12)
Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE:NEM) will be announcing its fourth quarter and FY2011 results before the market opens on Friday (24 February). Last Friday, the company’s stock closed at $59.45, marking a 0.3% drop for the week. With a market cap valuation of about $30 billion, the stock peaked at $72.42 last November. However, since the start of the year, the stock has fallen by about 1.5%.
Newmont is one of the world's largest gold producers with operations in Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Mexico, Peru and the United States. It has a well-diversified base, with 22% in the US, 50% from Asia/Pacific, 19% from Peru and 7% from Ghana. The company also completed a large acquisition last year, with a $2.3 billion purchase of Fronteer Gold. The latter had significant mining assets in Turkey, Peru and the US, including many projects close to existing Newmont infrastructure in Nevada.
While gold prices might have been volatile in recent months, Newmont is generally seen as a strong company with good management that has managed to maintain low operating costs and good growth prospects from recent acquisitions. The company also recently announced that it expected to invest about $3.0 – 3.3 billion in attributable capital expenditures, of which approximately 60% is allocated to growth project initiatives, including further development of the Akyem project in Ghana and potentially the Conga project in Peru, with the remaining 40% expected to be spent on sustaining and maintenance capital.
Given the above, both analysts and investors are sanguine about the company’s growth prospects.
The current analyst consensus sees earnings of $1.27 per share and $4.62 per share for FY2011. This would make it a 20% year-on-year improvement. The company’s profitability will be largely determined by gold prices that should be supportive through this year. With general optimism over gold prices, analysts expect Newmont to continue to post solid growth this year.
Most Recent Posts
- Interview With Howestreet.com: Don’t Blame Greece for June Market Drop - Mike Swanson (07/03/2015)
- High Noon Stock Market Mastermind Session With Dave Skarica - Mike Swanson (07/02/2015)
- Following Jobs Report Disaster Traders Push Back Rate Hike Forecast Again (07/02/2015)
- There Will Be No Last Minute Greece Deal - Mike Swanson (06/30/2015)
- Marc Faber: "I don't believe that stocks are going down because of Greece" (06/29/2015)
- Greece Default Causes Market Dump - Mike Swanson (06/29/2015)
- Anti-Austerity Protests in Athens As IMF Sentences Greece To Death (06/28/2015)
- Interview With Howestreet.com: Greece Default – A Good Thing? - MIke Swanson (06/27/2015)
- Chinese Stock Market Crashes 7% In A Day Leaving State Media Speechless - Mike Swanson (06/26/2015)
- Podcast - David Skarica On Coming Bear Market And Why Most People Will Fail To Adapt (06/26/2015)
JOIN: WALLSTREETWINDOW FREE MEMBERSHIP
* Join and receive the Two Fold Formula guide to picking stocks and combine tested fundamental valuation metrics with technical analysis.
*Align yourself with the big trends of the stock market and be alerted when these trends change.
*Receive free updates when we see an investment opportunity in an emerging sector before the crowd gets in.