Earnings Preview: Newmont Mining (NYSE: NEM) - Fred Dunsel (02/23/12)
Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE:NEM) will be announcing its fourth quarter and FY2011 results before the market opens on Friday (24 February). Last Friday, the company’s stock closed at $59.45, marking a 0.3% drop for the week. With a market cap valuation of about $30 billion, the stock peaked at $72.42 last November. However, since the start of the year, the stock has fallen by about 1.5%.
Newmont is one of the world's largest gold producers with operations in Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Mexico, Peru and the United States. It has a well-diversified base, with 22% in the US, 50% from Asia/Pacific, 19% from Peru and 7% from Ghana. The company also completed a large acquisition last year, with a $2.3 billion purchase of Fronteer Gold. The latter had significant mining assets in Turkey, Peru and the US, including many projects close to existing Newmont infrastructure in Nevada.
While gold prices might have been volatile in recent months, Newmont is generally seen as a strong company with good management that has managed to maintain low operating costs and good growth prospects from recent acquisitions. The company also recently announced that it expected to invest about $3.0 – 3.3 billion in attributable capital expenditures, of which approximately 60% is allocated to growth project initiatives, including further development of the Akyem project in Ghana and potentially the Conga project in Peru, with the remaining 40% expected to be spent on sustaining and maintenance capital.
Given the above, both analysts and investors are sanguine about the company’s growth prospects.
The current analyst consensus sees earnings of $1.27 per share and $4.62 per share for FY2011. This would make it a 20% year-on-year improvement. The company’s profitability will be largely determined by gold prices that should be supportive through this year. With general optimism over gold prices, analysts expect Newmont to continue to post solid growth this year.
Most Recent Posts
- Gold Futures Looking Bullish - Adam Hamilton (01/20/2017)
- Raising Cash Reserves Now To Use Later Is Key To Winning in 2017 - Mike Swanson (01/20/2017)
- George Soros Says Trump Will Fail Stocks Will Meltdown (01/20/2017)
- Podcast - David Skarica on the Wild Action in Uranium Stocks - Mike Swanson (01/19/2017)
- Is China About to Dethrone the US as the World’s Economic Leader? - James Holbrooks (01/19/2017)
- The Libertarian Angle: Trump's Wall - The Future of Freedom Foundation (01/19/2017)
- At Davos Joe Biden Blames Russia For All The World's Woes - Mike Swanson (01/18/2017)
- Are Bank Stocks Jim Cramer's New Momentum Monsters? - Mike Swanson (01/18/2017)
- Executive Power In The Age Of Trump - Daniel McAdams (01/18/2017)
- Patience Pays Off with CHK Using Momentum Reversals - Chris Vermeulen (01/18/2018)
Grab This Free Report: Our Top Donald Trump Stock To Trade
This free special WSW report is devoted to the emergence of new stock market sector leadership following the election of Donald Trump. It includes our latest stock pick to benefit from Trump's programs. Do not think about buying any other stocks before you read this report. To get this report click here