Earnings Preview: Newmont Mining (NYSE: NEM) - Fred Dunsel (02/23/12)
Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE:NEM) will be announcing its fourth quarter and FY2011 results before the market opens on Friday (24 February). Last Friday, the company’s stock closed at $59.45, marking a 0.3% drop for the week. With a market cap valuation of about $30 billion, the stock peaked at $72.42 last November. However, since the start of the year, the stock has fallen by about 1.5%.
Newmont is one of the world's largest gold producers with operations in Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Mexico, Peru and the United States. It has a well-diversified base, with 22% in the US, 50% from Asia/Pacific, 19% from Peru and 7% from Ghana. The company also completed a large acquisition last year, with a $2.3 billion purchase of Fronteer Gold. The latter had significant mining assets in Turkey, Peru and the US, including many projects close to existing Newmont infrastructure in Nevada.
While gold prices might have been volatile in recent months, Newmont is generally seen as a strong company with good management that has managed to maintain low operating costs and good growth prospects from recent acquisitions. The company also recently announced that it expected to invest about $3.0 – 3.3 billion in attributable capital expenditures, of which approximately 60% is allocated to growth project initiatives, including further development of the Akyem project in Ghana and potentially the Conga project in Peru, with the remaining 40% expected to be spent on sustaining and maintenance capital.
Given the above, both analysts and investors are sanguine about the company’s growth prospects.
The current analyst consensus sees earnings of $1.27 per share and $4.62 per share for FY2011. This would make it a 20% year-on-year improvement. The company’s profitability will be largely determined by gold prices that should be supportive through this year. With general optimism over gold prices, analysts expect Newmont to continue to post solid growth this year.
Most Recent Posts
- Total Complacency Reigns Among the Masses as Stock Market Sits on Edge of a Cliff - Mike Swanson (6/29/2016)
- Stock Market Meltdown Likely to Drive Gold Towards $1,500 - Mike Swanson (06/28/2016)
- Jim Rogers Says Bear Market Is Just Starting Gold to Rise - Mike Swanson (06/27/2016)
- Podcast - David Morgan On the Impact of Currency Moves on Silver and Gold - Mike Swanson (06/24/2016)
- The Stock Market and Gold after BREXIT with David Skarica - Mike Swanson (06/24/2016)
- Stock Market Dumps after BREXIT Gold Soars - Mike Swanson (06/24/2016)
- Proof that the Gold Bears are Mistaken and Wrong - Mike Swanson (06/22/2016)
- Gold and Stock Market Ahead of BREXIT Vote - Mike Swanson (06/21/2016)
- Stop Trying to Jump in and Out of Gold! - Mike Swanson (06/17/2016)
- Podcast - Olivier Tischendorf a Look at Momentum In DBA, JO, and ACIA - Mike Swanson (06/16/2016)
Grab This Free Report: The Details Behind the Big Soros Gold Bet
The free June issue of WSW Monthly is devoted to examining the details behind a new massive gold bet that George Soros is now making. See the stock Soros has put over five percent of his money in and other big position changes he suddenly made. Soros made new key directional stock market bets. To get this report click here