Earnings Preview: Newmont Mining (NYSE: NEM) - Fred Dunsel (02/23/12)
Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE:NEM) will be announcing its fourth quarter and FY2011 results before the market opens on Friday (24 February). Last Friday, the company’s stock closed at $59.45, marking a 0.3% drop for the week. With a market cap valuation of about $30 billion, the stock peaked at $72.42 last November. However, since the start of the year, the stock has fallen by about 1.5%.
Newmont is one of the world's largest gold producers with operations in Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Mexico, Peru and the United States. It has a well-diversified base, with 22% in the US, 50% from Asia/Pacific, 19% from Peru and 7% from Ghana. The company also completed a large acquisition last year, with a $2.3 billion purchase of Fronteer Gold. The latter had significant mining assets in Turkey, Peru and the US, including many projects close to existing Newmont infrastructure in Nevada.
While gold prices might have been volatile in recent months, Newmont is generally seen as a strong company with good management that has managed to maintain low operating costs and good growth prospects from recent acquisitions. The company also recently announced that it expected to invest about $3.0 – 3.3 billion in attributable capital expenditures, of which approximately 60% is allocated to growth project initiatives, including further development of the Akyem project in Ghana and potentially the Conga project in Peru, with the remaining 40% expected to be spent on sustaining and maintenance capital.
Given the above, both analysts and investors are sanguine about the company’s growth prospects.
The current analyst consensus sees earnings of $1.27 per share and $4.62 per share for FY2011. This would make it a 20% year-on-year improvement. The company’s profitability will be largely determined by gold prices that should be supportive through this year. With general optimism over gold prices, analysts expect Newmont to continue to post solid growth this year.
Most Recent Posts
- Gold-Futures Selling Exhausting - Adam Hamilton (12/10/2016)
- This Cisco CEO Interview Reveals What Is Fueling Stock Gains - Mike Swanson (12/09/2016)
- The Battle for Aleppo is Reaching an End - TheRealNews.com (12/09/2016)
- Big Rally Shows Power of New Sector Rotation and Trouble For Biotech - Mike Swanson (12/08/2016)
- Snowden exposed mass surveillance to show it's for control, not counterterrorism – Oliver Stone (12/08/2016)
- David Skarica Interview with FutureMoneyTrends.com (12/07/2016)
- Michael Hudson on the Orwellian Turn in Contemporary Economics - Mike Swanson (12/07/2016)
- Podcast - Charles Hugh Smith on The Mainstream Media and the Populist Global Revolt - Mike Swanson (12/06/2016)
- NakeCapitalism Blog Lawyer Demands Apology from The Washington Post - Mike Swanson (12/06/2016)
- William Fleckenstein's View of the Stock Market (12/06/2016)
Grab This Free Report: Our Top Donald Trump Stock To Trade
This free special WSW report is devoted to the emergence of new stock market sector leadership following the election of Donald Trump. It includes our latest stock pick to benefit from Trump's programs. Do not think about buying any other stocks before you read this report. To get this report click here