Earnings Preview: Newmont Mining (NYSE: NEM) - Fred Dunsel (02/23/12)
Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE:NEM) will be announcing its fourth quarter and FY2011 results before the market opens on Friday (24 February). Last Friday, the company’s stock closed at $59.45, marking a 0.3% drop for the week. With a market cap valuation of about $30 billion, the stock peaked at $72.42 last November. However, since the start of the year, the stock has fallen by about 1.5%.
Newmont is one of the world's largest gold producers with operations in Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Mexico, Peru and the United States. It has a well-diversified base, with 22% in the US, 50% from Asia/Pacific, 19% from Peru and 7% from Ghana. The company also completed a large acquisition last year, with a $2.3 billion purchase of Fronteer Gold. The latter had significant mining assets in Turkey, Peru and the US, including many projects close to existing Newmont infrastructure in Nevada.
While gold prices might have been volatile in recent months, Newmont is generally seen as a strong company with good management that has managed to maintain low operating costs and good growth prospects from recent acquisitions. The company also recently announced that it expected to invest about $3.0 – 3.3 billion in attributable capital expenditures, of which approximately 60% is allocated to growth project initiatives, including further development of the Akyem project in Ghana and potentially the Conga project in Peru, with the remaining 40% expected to be spent on sustaining and maintenance capital.
Given the above, both analysts and investors are sanguine about the company’s growth prospects.
The current analyst consensus sees earnings of $1.27 per share and $4.62 per share for FY2011. This would make it a 20% year-on-year improvement. The company’s profitability will be largely determined by gold prices that should be supportive through this year. With general optimism over gold prices, analysts expect Newmont to continue to post solid growth this year.
Most Recent Posts
- The New Project I Am Working On - Mike Swanson (05/25/2016)
- What Would A Stock Market Bear Market Do To Gold? - Mike Swanson (05/24/2016)
- Jim Rogers Gives Great Overview of His Career and Current Stock Market Situation - Mike Swanson (05/23/2016)
- Spring Rally For Stocks Coming or Sell in May and Go Away with David Skarica - Mike Swanson (05/20/2016)
- Can Trading Robots Boost Stocks Now? - Mike Swanson (05/20/2016)
- The Federal Reserve is Not Going To Raise Rates and Destroy Gold - Mike Swanson (05/19/2016)
- Podcast - Jordan Roy-Byrne Asseses The Fed Threat To Gold - Mike Swanson (05/18/2016)
- Target Stock Crashes To Show Us How Crazed Stock Market Has Become - Mike Swanson (05/18/2016)
- Five Troubled Popular Stocks - Mike Swanson (05/15/2016)
- The Stock Market Rally Is Over and It's Time to Take Money Off of the Table - Mike Swanson (05/15/2016)
Get Our Full Report: The Saudi 9/11 Connection and Oil Prices
The free May issue of WSW Monthly is devoted to examining the Saudi 9/11 connection and their operations in the world oil market. See our price forecast for oil and gold prices. To get this report click here