Earnings Preview: Newmont Mining (NYSE: NEM) - Fred Dunsel (02/23/12)
Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE:NEM) will be announcing its fourth quarter and FY2011 results before the market opens on Friday (24 February). Last Friday, the company’s stock closed at $59.45, marking a 0.3% drop for the week. With a market cap valuation of about $30 billion, the stock peaked at $72.42 last November. However, since the start of the year, the stock has fallen by about 1.5%.
Newmont is one of the world's largest gold producers with operations in Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Mexico, Peru and the United States. It has a well-diversified base, with 22% in the US, 50% from Asia/Pacific, 19% from Peru and 7% from Ghana. The company also completed a large acquisition last year, with a $2.3 billion purchase of Fronteer Gold. The latter had significant mining assets in Turkey, Peru and the US, including many projects close to existing Newmont infrastructure in Nevada.
While gold prices might have been volatile in recent months, Newmont is generally seen as a strong company with good management that has managed to maintain low operating costs and good growth prospects from recent acquisitions. The company also recently announced that it expected to invest about $3.0 – 3.3 billion in attributable capital expenditures, of which approximately 60% is allocated to growth project initiatives, including further development of the Akyem project in Ghana and potentially the Conga project in Peru, with the remaining 40% expected to be spent on sustaining and maintenance capital.
Given the above, both analysts and investors are sanguine about the company’s growth prospects.
The current analyst consensus sees earnings of $1.27 per share and $4.62 per share for FY2011. This would make it a 20% year-on-year improvement. The company’s profitability will be largely determined by gold prices that should be supportive through this year. With general optimism over gold prices, analysts expect Newmont to continue to post solid growth this year.
Most Recent Posts
- Current Stock Market Support Levels - Mike Swanson (05/05/2016)
- Today's Top Stock Market Story is China - Mike Swanson (05/03/2016)
- Dave Skarica Interivew Update on Junior Gold Mining Stocks - Mike Swanson (05/02/2016)
- Gold Stocks Are Now Entering A Stairway to Heaven Rally - Mike Swanson (04/29/2016)
- Beware Facebook As FANGS Are Biting Investors - Mike Swanson (04/28/2016)
- Donald Trump Will Fire Janet Yellen and Be Trapped - Mike Swanson (04/27/2016)
- This Key Stock Market Indicator Is Misleading People - Mike Swanson (04/25/2016)
- Podcast - Ike Iossif On What Stock Market Internals Really Are Showing - Mike Swanson (04/22/2016)
- Earnings Season Brings Stock Blow Ups While Mining Stocks Soar More: Stock Market Mastermind Session with David Skarica - Mike Swanson (04/22/2016)
- Gold Stocks Up Again Today As Many Feel Left Out - Mike Swanson (04/21/2016)
Get Our Full Report: The Saudi 9/11 Connection and Oil Prices
The free May issue of WSW Monthly is devoted to examining the Saudi 9/11 connection and their operations in the world oil market. See our price forecast for oil and gold prices. To get this report click here