Earnings Preview: Newmont Mining (NYSE: NEM) - Fred Dunsel (02/23/12)
Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE:NEM) will be announcing its fourth quarter and FY2011 results before the market opens on Friday (24 February). Last Friday, the company’s stock closed at $59.45, marking a 0.3% drop for the week. With a market cap valuation of about $30 billion, the stock peaked at $72.42 last November. However, since the start of the year, the stock has fallen by about 1.5%.
Newmont is one of the world's largest gold producers with operations in Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Mexico, Peru and the United States. It has a well-diversified base, with 22% in the US, 50% from Asia/Pacific, 19% from Peru and 7% from Ghana. The company also completed a large acquisition last year, with a $2.3 billion purchase of Fronteer Gold. The latter had significant mining assets in Turkey, Peru and the US, including many projects close to existing Newmont infrastructure in Nevada.
While gold prices might have been volatile in recent months, Newmont is generally seen as a strong company with good management that has managed to maintain low operating costs and good growth prospects from recent acquisitions. The company also recently announced that it expected to invest about $3.0 – 3.3 billion in attributable capital expenditures, of which approximately 60% is allocated to growth project initiatives, including further development of the Akyem project in Ghana and potentially the Conga project in Peru, with the remaining 40% expected to be spent on sustaining and maintenance capital.
Given the above, both analysts and investors are sanguine about the company’s growth prospects.
The current analyst consensus sees earnings of $1.27 per share and $4.62 per share for FY2011. This would make it a 20% year-on-year improvement. The company’s profitability will be largely determined by gold prices that should be supportive through this year. With general optimism over gold prices, analysts expect Newmont to continue to post solid growth this year.
Most Recent Posts
- Silver Miners’ Q4’16 Fundamentals - Adam Hamilton (03/24/2017)
- Libertarian Angle: Trump's Budget Proposal - Future of Freedom Foundation (03/24/2017)
- Special Stock Market Mastermind Session With David Skarica - Lessons from March 23 - Mike Swanson (03/23/2017)
- Watch Health Care Bill Today and Buy Mining Stocks That Pop - Mike Swanson (03/23/2017)
- Global Empire - Capitalism and Democracy - Tariq Ali (03/23/2017)
- 800 Families File Lawsuit Against Saudi Arabia over 9/11 - Carey Wedler (03/22/2017)
- Our Stock Market Bubble and the Weirdness Inside DC - Mike Swanson (03/22/2017)
- Yes I Have A Buy on Gold and Gold Mining Stocks Now - Mike Swanson (03/21/2017)
- Fed Hikes Rate - Stagflation Ahead? - Ron Paul Institute (03/20/2017)
- Market analysis for the week of March 20th, 2017 - Tiny Saul (03/20/2017)
Grab This Free Report: Our Top Mining Stock Pick
This free special WSW report is devoted to IDM Mining and why it is currently our top mining stock pick.
Grab it and get our next gold price entry point. Do not think about buying any other gold stocks before you read this report. To get this report click here