Earnings Preview: Newmont Mining (NYSE: NEM) - Fred Dunsel (02/23/12)
Newmont Mining Corporation (NYSE:NEM) will be announcing its fourth quarter and FY2011 results before the market opens on Friday (24 February). Last Friday, the company’s stock closed at $59.45, marking a 0.3% drop for the week. With a market cap valuation of about $30 billion, the stock peaked at $72.42 last November. However, since the start of the year, the stock has fallen by about 1.5%.
Newmont is one of the world's largest gold producers with operations in Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Mexico, Peru and the United States. It has a well-diversified base, with 22% in the US, 50% from Asia/Pacific, 19% from Peru and 7% from Ghana. The company also completed a large acquisition last year, with a $2.3 billion purchase of Fronteer Gold. The latter had significant mining assets in Turkey, Peru and the US, including many projects close to existing Newmont infrastructure in Nevada.
While gold prices might have been volatile in recent months, Newmont is generally seen as a strong company with good management that has managed to maintain low operating costs and good growth prospects from recent acquisitions. The company also recently announced that it expected to invest about $3.0 – 3.3 billion in attributable capital expenditures, of which approximately 60% is allocated to growth project initiatives, including further development of the Akyem project in Ghana and potentially the Conga project in Peru, with the remaining 40% expected to be spent on sustaining and maintenance capital.
Given the above, both analysts and investors are sanguine about the company’s growth prospects.
The current analyst consensus sees earnings of $1.27 per share and $4.62 per share for FY2011. This would make it a 20% year-on-year improvement. The company’s profitability will be largely determined by gold prices that should be supportive through this year. With general optimism over gold prices, analysts expect Newmont to continue to post solid growth this year.
Most Recent Posts
- Is the Fed in Control of Gold and the Stock Market with David Skarica - Mike Swanson (07/22/2016)
- Jim Goddard Show Interview - Is It Crazier To Invest in Vietnam Than In Oil Fracking Stocks? - Mike Swanson (07/21/2016)
- Here Are The Key Gold Support Levels You Need to Know - Mike Swanson (07/21/2016)
- Hang Your Hat on Small Cap Private Placements In Gold Stocks - Mike Swanson (07/20/2016)
- Friday Trading Update: IDM Mining Approaching Breakout Point Plus Big Coffee Trade - Mike Swanson (07/15/2016)
- Podcast - Ike Iossif On Why the Stock Market Has Ignored BREXIT So Far - Mike Swanson (07/14/2016)
- The Hidden Bull Market In Junior Mining Stocks + Stock Market Update with David Skarica - Mike Swanson (07/08/2016)
- Looming Market Correction Explains Gold's Rise - Mike Swanson (07/06/2016)
- July Fireworks Erupting in the Junior Miners with Dave Skarica - WSW Staff (07/05/2016)
- Silver Surges Again as Stock Market Rebounds - Mike Swanson (07/01/2016)
Grab This Free Report: Why IDM Mining Is Our Top Gold Stock Pick
This free issue of WSW Monthly is devoted to the rise in mining stocks and how to profit from it. It includes our top mining stock pick of July, which is IDM Mining (we own 140,000 shares and 70,000 warrant options of it, because we put our money where our mouth is). But do not think about buying it or any other mining stock before you read this report. To get this report click here