Predictions for Gold Prices in 2012 - Howard B Arnn (12/30/11)
In 2011, gold prices increased almost 13%. Prices started the year at about $1,400 an ounce and are ending the year at about $1,550 an ounce. Will this trend continue or are gold prices preparing for a decline in 2012? Many experts disagree on where gold is heading in the upcoming year. Citing everything from the economy to crises to interest rates, experts in the gold market have a wide range of expectations.
Tom Winmill, a Midas Fund portfolio manager, tells us to “view interest rates in a vacuum.” All indicators point towards continued low interest rates. Low interest rates make it easier for investors to field safe holding onto their gold. According to Winmill, this continued fragility of the economy along with low interest rates indicates the market is ready for gold prices to continue their price surge.
The current state of the economy, however, may not be beneficial for gold prices. George Gero, a consultant at RBC Wealth Management, points towards the Greece debt crisis. “So the behavior of gold during a crisis depends on the type of crisis and whether gold is needed for liquidity purposes to finance war or a bailout.” During the Greece debt crisis, gold prices fell $50 in a single day after an unfavorable development.
Despite the uncertain correlation between today’s economy and the price of gold, expert opinions compiled by Bloomberg point towards higher gold prices in 2012. UBS Ag released a statement saying gold will be “increasingly used as the line of defense against additional negative market outcomes.” The collective predications put the price of gold at more than $2,000 an ounce by the end of 2012. This would be a much better year than gold’s already impressive 2011 performance.
Although most forecasts show gold on an upward trend in 2012, the metal still stands on shaky ground. It is only certain that gold does hold a strong correlation with the economy. As long as the short-term future of the world economy remains uncertain, so will the price of gold.
Most Recent Posts
- Is the Fed in Control of Gold and the Stock Market with David Skarica - Mike Swanson (07/22/2016)
- Jim Goddard Show Interview - Is It Crazier To Invest in Vietnam Than In Oil Fracking Stocks? - Mike Swanson (07/21/2016)
- Here Are The Key Gold Support Levels You Need to Know - Mike Swanson (07/21/2016)
- Hang Your Hat on Small Cap Private Placements In Gold Stocks - Mike Swanson (07/20/2016)
- Friday Trading Update: IDM Mining Approaching Breakout Point Plus Big Coffee Trade - Mike Swanson (07/15/2016)
- Podcast - Ike Iossif On Why the Stock Market Has Ignored BREXIT So Far - Mike Swanson (07/14/2016)
- The Hidden Bull Market In Junior Mining Stocks + Stock Market Update with David Skarica - Mike Swanson (07/08/2016)
- Looming Market Correction Explains Gold's Rise - Mike Swanson (07/06/2016)
- July Fireworks Erupting in the Junior Miners with Dave Skarica - WSW Staff (07/05/2016)
- Silver Surges Again as Stock Market Rebounds - Mike Swanson (07/01/2016)
Grab This Free Report: Why IDM Mining Is Our Top Gold Stock Pick
This free issue of WSW Monthly is devoted to the rise in mining stocks and how to profit from it. It includes our top mining stock pick of July, which is IDM Mining (we own 140,000 shares and 70,000 warrant options of it, because we put our money where our mouth is). But do not think about buying it or any other mining stock before you read this report. To get this report click here